Whether your previous musical experience consists of 12 years of choir, high school a cappella, jamming in the shower, or being raised on Bulgarian lullabies, you are absolutely the person we want to audition for The Yale Slavic Chorus! If you want to become a part of Yale’s first women’s organization, are a fan of singing in new languages, cooking potluck dinners, eating cheese, exploring distant countries, performing for friends, and attending Balkan music festivals, the Yale Slavic Chorus is the place for you. We sing in more than seven different languages, including Russian, Ukrainian, Bulgarian, and Georgian, but you can come to auditions without any previous familiarity and jump right in.
While audition dates and times are still to be finalized, please note that auditions will take place within the first two weeks of September.
Here’s some quick pointers for your audition:
- Prepare an excerpt of a song that’s good for your range and important to you to sing for us.
- Come in with an open mind! We may ask you to do some things that you haven’t done before – like mountain hollers and clapping in unusual time rhythms – but no need to be intimidated!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to join the audition panlist, and receive information about our first concert!
Hooray! The Slavs are touring New York and New Jersey this spring from March 19-27!
See the following list of public concerts and the posters below. Suggested donation of $10 unless otherwise noted. We will be updating the list regularly. If you would like to join our panlist to learn more about these performances, email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saturday, March 19
- 7:00pm: Highland Park High School Auditorium, 102 N 5th Ave, Highland Park, NJ. Suggested donation of $5/students, $10/community.
Sunday, March 20
- 2:30pm: Temple B’nai Or, 60 Overlook Rd, Morristown, NJ 07960.
Tuesday, March 22
- 7:00pm: Barbes Bar & Performance Venue, 376 9th St, Brooklyn, NY 11215
Wednesday, March 23
- 8:00pm: Shrine World Music Venue, 2271 Adam Clayton Powell Jr Blvd, New York, NY 10030
Friday, March 25
- 8pm: Jalopy Music Venue & Theater, 315 Columbia St, Brooklyn, NY 11231
Joint concert with Jalopy Chorus. Jalopy opens at 8pm, Slavs come on at 9pm. Purchase tickets online or buy at the door. $10.
Saturday, March 26
- 8:00pm: Silvana Cafe & Bar, 300 W 116th St, New York, NY 10026
Sunday, March 27
- 10:30am: Old First Reformed Church, 729 Carroll St, Brooklyn, NY 11215
We’re excited to see you while we’re in town!
Longing to find the perfect way to say “I love you,” “I like you,” or “I think you need some dissonant harmony in your life?” Order a Singing Slaventine for a friend, love, or stranger.
We will be singing:
- throughout the week of February 8-12,
- for $5 apiece (via cash, venmo, or paypal),
- over Skype, the phone, or in person! Note: Only request in-person singing if on/near Yale’s campus.
- songs of LOVE and FRIENDSHIP…
Love and yiks are in the air!
Our next concert is just around the corner!
Please join us at Dwight Chapel at 7:00PM on this Saturday, December 5th for our Winter Wine & Cheese. You can view our facebook event here.
Suggested donation: $5 for students, $10 for members of the community. We hope to see you there!